Ready To Cut CNC Art

Corel Cad Smoothing

Ryankub

registered
Im new to this cad thing so im learning as I go. What I stumbled on is a feature that smooths the rough curves. The files I imported from here will open and smooth fine. The same files I open that I have saved from my previous program will not.. I have tried all different file types settings and nothing works.

The first two pics show how it works. See how after I highlight it the points are outside the line where it needs to be to smooth. I simply click twice and it cleans it up.

The third shows even though the points are there doesn't give me that option.

20150928_084622.jpg 20150928_084602.jpg 20150928_084655.jpg

I'm lost - I don't know what that is or what software that is or what 'feature' that might be or why it seems to work or not

it doesn't look like one of the files from here because most are smooth with tangent arcs or smooth nodes such that they shouldn't look like that and shouldn't need smoothing

and most come in a variety of formats - all of which would behave different ways in different software

I can't guess what you're looking at - in what software - or whether that is normal or not - like in autocad the viewres environment variable can cause smooth curves to appear segmented on screen but that is a viewing issue where it just doesn't show the curve as smooth as it really is and that can be fixed by increasing the viewres variable without changing any curve geometry

maybe try specifying what software you are working with and post a before and after of the files that do work and a file of one that does not work and it should be easy to determine what's there and what's different and what the problem is

I suspect that where the first and second picture shows round off-curve dots between square on-curve dots represent a smooth curve being displayed in a non-smooth manner - while the 3rd image hase round on-curve dots which probably represent actual line segments being displayed the way they are drawn

I'm not so sure that you stumbled onto something that actually smooths curves - rather than stumbling onto different ways to view smooth curves

I thought I put it but I didnt. Its Corel Cad. I have hycad which came with my burntable. When I cut the dxf with my hycad it had rough curves. I downloaded a free trail version of Corel Cad and when I clicked to highlight something it showed what I call nodes "the round ones" outside of the rough contour. So I clicked it twice and it smoothed it out. But If I import a file that I already modified and saved in Hycad it will look like my last picture and not allow it to smooth and only move it. That file was a dxf I downloaded here.

Attachments

You must be signed in to view attachments...
  • 20150928_121301.jpg
    19.4 KB
yikes - hycad must have downsampled from polyline with arcs to polyline with line segments - junk

for one thing - the cut appears to have stopped at each point - if your cutting system has constant velocity settings then turning that on will help

1st image = dxf with arcs in corel cad

2nd image = same after setting viewres to 100

3rd image = same after polyline edit and decurve (apparently that's what hycad did)

4th image = imported 3rd into corel draw and change line nodes to smooth curve nodes

5th image = polyline edit 3rd and do a fit or spline (might be a fix but not all CAM software supports DXF with fits and splines)

note: in 4th case - corel draw will export that as dxf with splines, or with all curves converted into lots of tiny line segments (same as 3 but smoother - definitely need constant velocity to cut such line segments)

z1.jpg z2.jpg z3.jpg z4.jpg z5.jpg

Back
Top Bottom