Ready To Cut CNC Art

raster to vector software

FerDogg

registered
I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on raster to vector conversion software. I am looking for a reliable software for generating dxf's from images. Any input or pro's and con's would be appreciated.

I use autotrace - practically obsolete - won't run on 64 bit OS - I never trace ordinary images - I always redraw in black and white first - in that case autotrace makes nice long smooth curves that require the least clean up - only problem is it doesn't preserve straight lines very well - not so great for drawing cars or man made objects with straight lines

A close contender to autotrace is potrace - I see it has been updated to run on 64 bit - I don't remember exactly why I liked autotrace better but I remember that potrace was impressive for my purposes - and it's free

http://potrace.sourceforge.net/

My 3rd choice was vector magic - because it preserved straight lines pretty good

I'm partial toward corel products - corel draw has a built in image tracer (as does adobe illustrator) - they seem to be as good as any other

In the end - from a cnc standpoint - I don't really like any of them - even with a nearly perfect source image, they leave too much clean up work to be done for cnc purposes - so I've been working on my own solution

I do like the vectric software - it's not exactly for plasma cutting - but I love it for routing - and I use it to produce all my DXF files

in the end - the source image quality is what determines how good the trace turns out - which tracing software you use doesn't make that much difference - all their differences are subtle - for the most part

Back
Top Bottom