Ready To Cut CNC Art

Problems with Cut

anonymous

incognito
Wonder if you can give me some insight on a piece we are cutting that isn't cutting clean. I am not doing the cutting someone else is. He has a plasma cam hope I got that right. The bear we are having a problem with is super-animals-bear-12. All the pieces he has cut have a nick in the back it's not clean. The guy cutting them for me said it does not show in the pattern so he can't do anything about it. He said to ask you maybe you could help. Do you think its the machine although it isn't on any other pieces that we have seen. Can you give us so advice?

a nick in the back it's not clean

I don' know what that means,

"it does not show in the pattern", that's normal, any glitch in the pattern would be obvious and fixable.

'Clean', verify the cutting direction is clockwise (on outside cuts or counter-clockwise on inside cuts)

'Nick', if it corresponds with the pierce point location then try a different pierce point location and or a different lead-in or lead-out strategy

"can't do anything about it", means doesn't know how to make mistakes, much less address them...

between the three of us, it's not your fault, and since I doubt that anyone anywhere can identify a culpable defect in that pattern, it's not my fault , which leaves only one conclusion, it must be plasmacam's fault, if it's not the operator's fault... ;)

I'd be thrilled to see a picture, just to know what we're talking about

Ok I attached a picture hopefully it came through and you can see it well enough. Sure looks like starting point to me but want to have your opinion.

That would be great if he can get a program to fix it. Strange at this point it is the only pattern it is happening to.

nick 002.jpg

Yes, that is the start point

All plasma cutters create a small crater when starting a cut, it takes a moment to blast through the material.

That can be moved away from the final outline by adding a lead-in starting somewhere away from the finished edge (red circle) then sweeping into the finished edge cut, so that the torch is moving at the right speed and direction when it reaches and starts cutting the finished edge.

You can see the larger heat zone around the larger crater in the upper cut in the photo. That means the torch paused there longer or simply burned out a bigger hole than in the lower cut. That could be due to torch power settings, pierce height, pierce delay time, and or arc ok signal timing. Which depends on the machine, whether it has torch height control, arc sensing, some fixed pierce delay time, and or a slow computer.

Using a lead-in, and possibly a lead-out should all but eliminate start point imperfections. Otherwise, cratering is unavoidable, and the amount of cratering varies with torch pierce power, height, and timing (and even with air pressure and grounding and so forth).

And for best results the cut direction should be clockwise on those outside cuts. Plasma torches cut cleaner on the right side due to the way the plasma swirls clockwise.

And you can also move the start point to a less conspicuous location.

With plasmacam, you have to use their software, and have the necessary upgrades, to implement lead-ins, but then it's generally pretty easy to add lead-ins, especially when there's only one required. It is possible to add them manually without special software (after kerf compensation).

nick003.jpg

Back
Top Bottom