Ready To Cut CNC Art

Is AutoCAD good for Vector Artwork

SignTorch

Artist
this is my first time using dfx files. ...i have an autocad program but am having trouble making what i want without knowing how to use it haha. i like some of the images you have but want to tweek them for different applications. should this be possible for me if i learn how to use the program i have? Thanks!! ...

It can be done in CAD software, but vector graphics software (like corel draw) is usually better for sign making, because it is easier to arrange and join things including text in nice continuous paths, those programs are actually intended for graphics design, where autocad is more for drafting, it doesn't have many good features to do freestyle art, text, and graphics layout work. In CAD, you usually can't even scale shapes asymmetrically, much less warp, skew and bend shapes into very artistic compositions, and you usually can't convert text to cut paths without doing tricks, so it is not a good substitute for vector graphics software when you get beyond basic scale and cut operations

Try downloading inkscape or corel-draw and use the true vector formats (not DXF) and that might be better than trying to learn autocad by doing things it wasn't intended for

AutoCAD is good for precision work, not ideal for text and vector artwork layout and design purposes

ultimately, autocad can do anything, so nothing's impossible in autocad, but it has weak art features, so you might have a lot of learning to do to get it to do some things, and for tweaking vector art I'm not sure it's the best choice or easiest to learn for that purpose

Yes, I use MicroStation (autocad competitor) and then import the .dxf into the Designedge to cut pieces on our Plasmacam. I'm not experienced with Corel Draw but I assume that's probably easier. Sometimes, it's easier to import a .jpg into Microstation and then draw over it in cad to get the .dxf rather than importing the .jpg directly into Design edge. This is sometimes necessary if you have a shaded or colored artwork to start with. Although I don't use AutoCAD, I am familiar with it and have used it.

Back
Top Bottom